Most countries in the developed world operate on some form of representative democracy. Citizens elect representatives who govern, imperfectly, on their behalf. But there is increasing support for a system of direct democracy, where citizens would determine legislation by voting on national issues.
Many people are beginning to see cracks in the system.
Why should politicians who do not understand how the Internet works create internet laws or be legislating for someone who lives 1,000 miles away?
Direct democracy would open the political process to could solve these problems.
With these dumb laws, that we have compiled below, we’re not sure, where common sense got lost.
- Until recently, families with more than one child were fined. (In China)
One Child Policy, a notoriously disastrous piece of legislation aimed at limiting the size of Chinese families.
2.Where you were born will determine where you can live. (In China but also Immigration and Visa laws
in countries like Australia, USA, EU etc…)
3.Copyright law: countries with political dictatorship (in China, North Korea …) or dictatorship of big companies ( in countries like UK, Australia, USA, EU etc…) Lately, people have been getting sued for some absolutely ridiculous reasons. The things we do every day—from putting pictures on Facebook to uploading home videos on YouTube—have led to some major lawsuits.
3.1. You can’t view any salacious content online. (Websites also load very slowly, thanks to the government’s controls, and emails are subject to direct censorship. In China, you can’t login to YouTube, Twitter, or other social media websites. You can’t use Google. You can’t even use many Android devices.)
4. If you cut down a cactus, you could be sentenced to 25 years in prison (USA, Arizona)
5. Policemen are allowed to bite a dog if they think it will calm the dog down (USA, Paulding, Ohio)
6. Marriage between cousins is against the law only if they are younger than 65 (USA, Utah)
7. It’s forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (USA, Carrizozo, New Mexico)
8.In seven U.S. states, according to their constitutions, atheists are barred from holding public office.
9.Sodomy is illegal, in general, in Idaho, Utah, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Oral sex is often considered sodomy by many states, according to the Hebrew Bible.
10. In 1664 Maryland passes the first British colonial law banning marriage between whites and slaves — a law that, among other things, orders the enslavement of white women who have married black men:
As you might imagine, the white nationalist colonial governments did not leave these questions unanswered for long. Interracial marriage was still illegal in Alabama in 2000.
11.The revelation that the National Security Agency can monitor your every move online shouldn’t come as a total shock. A 1986 law lets the Feds read emails that have been stored on a server for at least six months. (USA)
12. In Dubai, extramarital sex is against the law and could result in jail sentences for over a year. Which means that in rape cases, both the victim and the perpetrator could end up being charged with the same crime.
13. In Saudi Arabia, there is no minimum age for marriage. In 2008, a Saudi court refused an 8-year-old girl, who asked for a divorce from her 58-year-old husband.
14.In Saudi Arabia, it is illegal for any woman to drive a car. Right now, it’s illegal for them to vote too.
15.In Greece, police are allowed to arrest anyone suspected of having HIV. Police are also allowed to force HIV testing, to publicize the names of HIV-positive people and to have them evicted from their homes.
If anyone wants to get married, In Greece, the law requires those to publish their wedding notice in a newspaper (written in Greek) or on the City Hall notice board.
16.Apart from the Vatican, the Philippines is the only country in the world where divorce is illegal.
17.In Thailand it is illegal to step on money.
18.There is a law in South Carolina called the no “mock proposal” law, which states that anybody above the age of 16-years-old is not allowed to perform a proposal if they do not mean it.
19. (USA) In Arkansas there still exists a law that was instated in the 1800s that states a husband is allowed to beat his wife, but only once a month.
In Arizona, having more than two vibrators in your home is illegal. If you own more than two in your house, you can be subject to criminal possession.
In Oregon, talking dirty while having sex is illegal. Even though they don’t really specify what qualifies as dirty talk.
In Iowa, it is illegal for a man with a mustache to kiss a woman in public.
In Massachusetts it is deemed illegal for a woman to be on top during sex.
In Vermont, a wife needs the husband’s permission to wear false teeth.
In North Carolina couples must have sex in the missionary position and with the curtains pulled.
In Utah, a husband is responsible for his wife’s actions as long as he is with her at the time of her “actions.”
In Kentucky, a woman cannot remarry the same man more than three times.
In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to tie a dollar bill to a string on the ground and pull it away when someone tries to pick it up.
In Florida it is illegal for a divorced or a widowed woman to skydive on a Sunday afternoon.
In Tennessee it is legal to carry a loaded firearm into a bar. Seems safe.
In Colorado it is illegal to collect rainwater.
20. In Britain it is illegal to handle a salmon in suspicious circumstances. In Britain, it is illegal to import potatoes into England or Wales if you have reasonable cause to believe that they are Polish. You are not allowed to let your pet mate with any pet form the royal house.
It is illegal In Britain ,to carry a plank along the pavement.
In England it is illegal to die in the House of Parliament.
In Britain it is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the monarch’s head upside down on an envelope.
By law, any whale or great Sturgeon caught in the UK is the property of the Queen.
21. In France, it is stated as illegal to marry a dead person.
22.In Sweden it is illegal to be found buying the services of a prostitute, even though prostitution is legal. Which means the prostitutes themselves would not be breaking the law. In the past few years Iceland and Norway have also adopted this law.
23. In Canada, any comic book that portrays illegal activity is banned.
24. In Norway, there is a law that protects all female dogs and cats from being spayed. Only male dogs and cats can be neutered. Also, an ancient Norwegian law still exists that obliges all Norwegians to go out on expeditions to rape and plunder at least once every five years.
25. In Russia, Vladimir Putin just recently made it illegal to tell kids that gay people exist.
26. Bangladeshi children of 15 and older can be sent to jail for cheating on their final exams.
27. In parts of India, a man who is in debt can offer up his wife until the debt is paid.
28. In Hong Kong, there’s a law that allows a wife to kill her husband if she finds him cheating. However, she must kill him with her bare hands.
29.North Korea hands out ballots with only one option on them, so votes swing, you guessed it, 100% for the leader.
If one person violates a law or is sent to prison camp, it affects their whole family. Grandparents, parents, and children of the violator are sent to work with them
Pyongyang, one of North Korea’s only cities, is home to three million people, but only the elite. Only trustworthy, healthy, and loyal citizens can live there.
Because of its lack of resources, North Korea was forced to use human feces as fertilizer, demanding the product from its citizens.
If you are aware of some weird laws still in effect in your country or state feel free to tell us in the comments.